About January 1909, when a  19 years old, single, living at home and working in a factory in Youngstown, one night she came home from her work all fagged and nervous. 

During the night she was taken with convulsion, fits of weeping and talked deliriously.  In the morning a physician was called in, diagnosed the case as one of severe nervous prostration and prescribed for her.  She did not improve but became worse:  being restless melancholy, not eating and not sleeping.  Another physician was called in but stated that he could do no more than the first one had done.  The girl was obsessed with the idea of poison, was taciturn and morose, had impulses to suicide, menstruation was absent; and eventually the family physician advised placing her in an insane asylum.

The mother in the meantime had journeyed to Cleveland to consult a priest who was reputed able to relieve or cure nervous conditions.

Having heard of the shrine in Carey from a girl who had been cured and left her crutches there, the mother began the Novena to Our Lady of Consolation at home and the girl seemed to begin to improve.  Encouraged by this the mother decided to bring the girl to the shrine and during March, 1909 they both came to Carey.  On the way, the girl varied moroseness with fits of hysterical weeping.  They remained four days.  At Carey, the mother had fairly to drag the girl into the Church and during the first two days she would remain there stolid and stupid, but the mother succeeded in inducing her to go to confession.

On the third day the girl  received holy communion with willingness, was brought to the point of praying a rosary with her mother and her frame of mind seemed to lighten.

On the fourth day she expressed a desire to return home.  On the train she was a little downcast and wept occasionally, but on the arrival home she conversed cheerily and slept well during the following night.

The next day she assisted at Holy Mass and received Holy Communion and when during the day the physician called she talked and smiled.  The physician told the family that the trip to Carey had done her more good than medicine.

Prayers were kept up at home and she steadily progressed without a relapse, until a short time she was her old self again.  She remained thus ever since and on October 14, 1912, she was happily married.